Momentive Performance Materials has expanded its innovative platform of silicone rubber that can be cured on demand by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light with the introduction of Addisil UV 60 EX elastomer. The new elastomer, which was demonstrated at MD&M West 2011 in early February, is an excellent candidate to consider for medical applications where lower temperatures are required during manufacturing, yet typical silicone rubber physical properties are also mandatory.
“The Addisil platform can lead to innovation in medical device technology,” said Lynn Colucci-Mizenko, Global Marketing Director at Momentive. “One possibility is with combination products where silicone rubber-extruded parts are combined with heat-sensitive materials. Some substances used in health care applications may not be able to withstand the high temperatures reached during the typical heat curing process. With Addisil elastomer’s UV cure technology, however, medical device manufacturers can consider a much broader range of ingredients in their silicone mixtures.”
In addition, Addisil UV 60 EX elastomer has minimal shrinkage and reduced air entrapment when compared to heat cured materials. It can be used with existing silicone extrusion equipment and common UV light curing systems.
“The Addisil technology enables a number of new geometries and technical solutions that were not previously possible,” Ms. Colucci-Mizenko added. “Customers have noted the potential for significant cost savings from the processing advantages of extrusion without heat.” In addition, significantly shorter cure times can be achieved, resulting in higher throughput manufacturing processes.
Addisil UV 60 EX elastomer is the newest addition to a comprehensive portfolio of products from Momentive Performance Materials that are excellent candidates to consider for use in the design and manufacture of medical devices. These products include:
* StatSil antimicrobial elastomers – a custom platform based on the direct incorporation of a silver-based antimicrobial additive into a base silicone elastomer for healthcare applications where controlling the growth of microbes in or on the body is of concern.
* LSR 2740 TP3783 self-bonding liquid silicone rubber – a liquid silicone rubber for injection molding that can offer primerless adhesion to a wide range of substrates, including metals and engineering plastics, without adhesion to the mold. This makes it a strong candidate to consider for the potentially cost-efficient production of high volumes of parts in integrated processes such as multi-component injection molding or insert-molding.
* MSC2631 silicone slip coating polymer – a platinum cured coating system that can help reduce the coefficient of friction of commonly used metal substrates found in healthcare applications.
* Silopren LSR4600 FC liquid silicone rubber – a family of platinum catalyzed, fast cure, two-component liquid silicone rubbers offered in a variety of different durometers. With faster cure at lower temperatures such as 100°C, it is an excellent candidate to consider for injection molding onto lower temperature substrates such as polycarbonate. When compared to typical silicone elastomers, it has shown improved chemical resistance to cleaning agents commonly used for respiratory masks.
* Silicone gels – a family of versatile synthetic materials available in a range of cure speeds, viscosity, penetration and tack/adhesion levels. They are good candidates to consider for a wide range of healthcare applications where pressure relief and visco-elasticity are desired.
* Silopren LSR 7000 highly transparent, liquid silicone rubber series – a family of liquid silicone rubbers combining outstanding optical properties with the processing advantages of platinum catalyzed materials. The Silopren LSR 7000 series is an excellent candidate to consider for applications where both enhanced optical transparency and high temperature stability are needed, and the potential for stress cracking of thermoplastics is of concern.
For more information about Momentive Performance Materials silicone solutions for the medical devices industry, please call 800.295.2392 in North America (+607.786.8131 everywhere else) or visit www.momentive.com