Creative Dimension Software Ltd are pleased to announce the release of 3DSOM Pro v3, the professional tool for creating and presenting 3D models from photographs. A much enhanced toolset allows users to build models of a wide range of objects including including concave objects such as vases, bowls as well as organic and complex objects that are traditionally hard to model.
Another key new feature is the ability to model objects taken without the 3DSOM Pro calibration mat - a printed A4 sheet placed under the target object to help automate modeling. The calibration approach works very well for small objects but can prove difficult for large objects such as a car. An alternative interface is now provided allowing users to place "pins" or markers in the photographs to allow the software to recover camera parameters and build a 3D model.
3DSOM Pro v3 now includes state-of-the-art computer vision techniques to allow a 3D "point cloud" to be automatically created directly from pairs of photographs. The resulting points improve model accuracy building on the core "silhouette" based 3d engine from previous versions.
Export high quality 3D Flash models with full-screen option
As well as some helpful tools to improve the workflow the new release includes an upgraded version of 3DSOM Pro's Flash powered 3D web viewer. This version allows higher quality models to be published (over 30,000 triangles and 16Mp textures) and viewed in a web page with a "Full Screen" display option. A measure tool is also included allowing interactive measurement of the distance between any two points on the object.
The 3DSOM Pro system takes a number of photographs of a real object taken from different angles. The images are loaded into the software and 3DSOM Pro then semi-automatically constructs a high quality texture mapped model. The software is being used by museums to present 3D online galleries as well as for product visualisation, retail design, medical research and teaching and other graphics and CAD applications.
As well as the new Flash 3D web format the software can export models in industry standard 3D formats and also a powerful Java based web 3D presentation solution.
Version 3 of 3DSOM Pro is a major new release with many new features and improvements. The new enhanced toolset allows a much greater range of objects to be successfully modelled using 3DSOM Pro without requiring any 3rd party tools.
* Mat-free modeling - this releases includes a new approach to creating a 3D model without requiring the calibration mat in the scene. Instead the user can manually "pin" marker points in the photos. A new interface has been designed to make this as easy as possible.
* Interactive 3D modeling tools - 3DSOM Pro version 3 provides a collection of new tools for interactive mesh editing including region smoothing, flattening, push and pull and boolean operations. These tools can be used to "hollow out" concave regions to model bowls, cups, jugs, vases etc which can not be modelled accuractely just using silhouettes.
* Point Clouds - for highly patterned objects (or using a digitally projected pattern), a point cloud can be generated automatically. The 3D points are then used when optimising the surface to create a more accurate model.
* Texture fix brush - 3DSOM Pro version 3 provides a simple brush tool to fix common artefacts in the texture maps.
* Curved edge marking - another new feature allows curved edges such as a seam on clothing or a crease, to be outlined manually in several photos. A digitised 3D curve is automatically recovered and the data then used to improved the model accuracy.
* Polygonal objects - This version includes simple tools to model polygonal (faceted) objects such as simple man-made objects, by marking up vertex positions, edges and faces in the photographs (no masking or backdrop needed).
* Masking with the new curve region tool - A new tool for defining a region when creating masks is included. This tool has a handy "snap to image" behaviour that makes it easy to quickly define a curved mask edge.
* Flash 3D export - Our Flash powered web 3D format allows models to be viewable online without any special plugin. The latest Flash 10 viewer has improved performance in terms of speed and quality. You can now display models with 30,000 textured triangles interactively with modest hardware in the webpage or full screen. The Flash viewer also now supports "view dependent" textures for improved lighting effects and an interactive "measure" tool.
* Quick texture preview - In order to help interactive geometry editing it is now possible to quickly preview a model textured using the single closest input photo, prior to building the final blended texture map.
3DSOM Pro can now export Flash based static 3D models that you can grab, rotate, spin and zoom. All that is needed to view the models is the popular Adobe Flash Player 10 plugin.
* Easy to use: From 3DSOM Pro you can publish an impressive 3D Flash webpage with a couple of clicks! No Flash authoring tools or scripting knowledge is required.
* Quick to download: The Flash viewer is under 50K bytes (typically 1 or 2 seconds to download!). The model data is highly compressed (up to 4 times compared to ZIP compressed data).
* Streamed textures: The texture image data is streamed so that a low resolution version is available quickly. A progress animation is displayed as the model loads.
* Customisation: You can supply a Flash movie backdrop and replace the default controls with your own ActionScript movie. Alternatively you can incorporate the 3DSOM Pro Flash movie into a larger Flash document.
* High quality models: Our Flash 3D rendering engine can support meshes up to 40,000 triangles and textures up to 4000 x 4000.
* 3DS to Flash conversion: The 3DSOM Pro 3DS import function has been extended to handle more 3DS content. You can now use 3DSOM Pro to convert "texture baked" 3DS models to our Flash or Java formats for presentation on the web.
Full details are available from the 3DSOM website: www.3dsom.com